Facts and Figures
If you’re visiting our website with the view to buying a defibrillator, then you are on the first step of the ladder to making your environment heart safe.
- Approximately 30,000 Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests occur every year in the UK
- In 2013, the Emergency Medical Services attempted to resuscitate approximately 28,000 people after they suffered an Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest
- Of the 28,000 people that emergency services attempted to resuscitate, only 8.6% survived and were discharged from hospital
- Approximately 80% of Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests occur at Home; 20% will occur in public places
- The current rate of initial bystander CPR in England is reported to be around 43%
- 12 people under the age of 35 die every week due to sudden cardiac arrest in the UK
- 270 children die in the UK every year after suffering a Sudden Cardiac Arrest at school
- When someone has a cardiac arrest, every minute without CPR and defibrillation reduces their chances of survival by 7-10%
- Currently, only 20% of cardiac arrest victims are in a ‘shockable’ rhythm when the EMS arrive; this figure can be increased if more cardiac arrest victims received immediate, effective CPR from bystanders
- Passive smoking increases the risk of developing coronary heart disease by up to 30%
- If a defibrillator is used and effective CPR is performed within 3-5 minutes of cardiac arrest, survival chances increase from 6% to 74%
- The emergency services average response time to a cardiac event related incident in an urban area has increased from 8 to 11 minutes
- Without immediate treatment, 90-95% of Sudden Cardiac Arrest victims will die
What's the difference between a Cardiac Arrest and a Heart Attack?
If you would like to learn more about the heart, cardiac arrest, defibrillators and everything in between, you could always check out our recently updated and rebooted FAQ page which features a whole host of informative videos.
If you have a question regarding any of our products or have any questions regarding how you can become a Heart Safe environment, you can get in touch with the knowledgable defibshop team by calling 0845 071 0830 or you can fill out a contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.