3 Reasons to Learn CPR - Restart a Heart Day 2016


There are many benefits to learning cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), however, we have a feeling if we told you all of them you’d be here for days. So, to save you some time we’ve chosen the main three benefits of learning CPR so you can see exactly what it can do for you and others around you.

Reason 1: You can be the difference 

It’s true; you can be the difference between life and death. If someone were to collapse due to an event such as a sudden cardiac arrest, the life-saving knowledge of CPR will fill you with confidence and reassurance so you’re able to act if an emergency event was to occur and you just so happened to be a bystander.

By delivering treatment prior to the emergency services arriving, you can increase the casualty’s chances of survival significantly. If a victim did in fact suffer a sudden cardiac arrest, then CPR and defibrillation needs to be delivered within 3-5 minutes of collapse to increase the survival chance from 6%-74%. This is the only definitive treatment for a cardiac arrest event.

Reason 2: There are approximately 30,000 out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests each Year

Each year, it is estimated that approximately 30,000 out of hospital cardiac arrest events will occur. Approximately, 80% of out of hospital cardiac arrests will occur at home, the remaining 20% being in public places such as shopping centres.

Sudden cardiac arrest does not discriminate who it attacks; it can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time. Many don’t realise that 12 people under the age of 35 die every week due to sudden cardiac arrest, and 270 children will die in school will every year because of sudden cardiac arrest. With instances like this, occurring regularly whilst people are out and about or at home, having these life-saving skills can help tackle the fatality statistics.

Reason 3: You will be more Employable

Having a CPR qualification on your CV can increase your employability considerably in a range of sectors. Whether you would like to pursue a career where you utilise your CPR skills everyday in jobs such as a trainer or a paramedic, you’re well on your way already with the qualification. Or, if you wanted to work in an office, many companies nowadays do get first aid training for their staff, so they can look after one another if anything did occur.

If you decided to apply for new job opportunities, you would already be ahead and stand out from other applicants with the qualification on your CV.

Should you get Qualified

So, do you realise just how important learning CPR is for you, your family and workplace? Who knew it would affect so many different areas of your life? CPR is a skill for life that can save a life!

At defibshop we offer a wide range of training courses which will equip you with these life-saving skills as well how to use a defibrillator. Comment your thoughts on CPR below or tweet us @defibshop.

Leave a Comment

This website requires cookies to provide all of its features. For more information on what data is contained in the cookies, please see our Cookies Policy page. To accept cookies from this site, please click the Allow button below.